Monday, March 18, 2013

Commitment from players, what does that really mean?



A lesson from Baseball

We want commitment from our players but what does that really mean?
I have had a lot of players who have said they eat, drink, and sleep baseball, which is their declaration of how much they love and are committed to the game. Many of those same players, although committed in thought, are less than committed when it comes to the work needed to be great. We talk a lot about commitment in sports even going so far as to mention total commitment. If you are committed to something aren’t you already totally committed? Is there an in-between when it comes to being committed? In my book you either are or you are not. I want a player who is not committed to the sport but who is committed to himself. Give me a player who understands that the real commitment he needs to find is to himself. I want a player who is dedicated to creating a quality individual, who takes care of his responsibilities, is loyal to his family, friends, and teammates, is attentive to those around him, and wishes to excel both physically and mentally on the field. I want players who will not settle for mediocre in any aspect of their life; to me that is a committed individual. As a coach my job is to never let my players settle for average and to push them beyond what they think possible, again in all aspects of their lives. Commitment is deep and personal. Help foster your players to find the passion needed to be “totally committed” in all that they do.
popupsandponies.storenvy.com

No comments:

Post a Comment