Sunday, March 11, 2012

That's Our Girl! Lauriane Rougeau Scores 3ot winner, featuring video!

Tiger Paw Elite summer Hockey Student and Former Lac St Louis tiger, Scores Winner for Cornell in Triple Overtime ITHACA, N.Y. – Fourteen goals were scored in three periods, both teams came back from three goals down, and neither of those facts were the craziest part of Saturday afternoon's NCAA women's hockey quarterfinal at Lynah Rink. In what was the longest game in program history – beating out the 2010 National Championship Game by 25 seconds -- Cornell defeated Boston University 8-7 with 10 seconds left in the third overtime thanks to a one-on-three goal by former Lac St Louis tiger defenseman Lauriane Rougeau. The goal, just her sixth of the season, clinched a trip to the NCAA Frozen Four in Duluth, Minn., next weekend. Cornell will play No. 2 seed Minnesota in the Frozen Four's early game. Rougeau's goal came as she picked up the puck in her own defensive zone, then stepped past one defender as she crossed the blue line. One more defender got in her way, but with time ticking down in the overtime period, Rougeau made the play of Cornell's season when she beat Terriers goalie Kerrin Sperry between the legs after blowing past that second defender. “I saw an opening and I went for it,” Rougeau said. “I knew there wasn't a lot of time left on the clock, and even though they were three and I was one, I'm just going for it. I just past her, and it just happened. I was behind the net, I found out I scored, and I was happy.” That goal set off a wild celebration, sparking the entire Big Red bench to empty and eliciting a joyous cheer from the season-high 2,143 fans in attendance. The game, which lasted 119 minutes and 50 seconds, was just 10 seconds shy of being two full games worth of hockey. See video of Lauriane's goal, follow this link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUc8zlf07ro

No comments:

Post a Comment